Saturday, January 14, 2012

Big Pretty Bow On A Cake

Yep, that about sums it up.

I made this cake for my stepmother's birthday. It consisted of two 6-inch lemon cakes (each split and layered with home made lemon & lime curd and lemon Swiss Meringue Buttercream), stacked to form a tall cake.

Isn't it pretty? Just don't look too closely... I had dramas with this, largely because I was dumb enough to think SMBC was an excellent choice of base for the fondant to sit on. In the middle of a Western Australian Summer. Why do I not learn???? So yes, there were definitely imperfections.

So let's just concentrate on the bow, shall we?

(Note to self: Learn to use iron on background material for photos. Because, you know, that's more important than ironing my family's clothes. I really hate ironing. My husband made peace a long time ago with the idea that if he chose to buy clothes that require ironing, he was also choosing to iron them...)

This is my first attempt at a Planet-Cake-style standy-uppy bow (as opposed to a lie-y-downy bow, like this one). And I am pretty happy with it. Also, I actually thought it was pretty easy to make, to be honest. I was expecting it to be more difficult, but it all just seemed to come together - yay! Don't you just love it on the odd occasion that that happens?

Hope your weekend is as fun as ours is turning out this week! In a few days: Weirdy Snowman Cookies!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

This is really beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...